BY TRISHA ENRIQUEZ
It’s a whole different ball game once you become a mother. Gone are the days where you could make it to the gym 5-6 times a week or hit your favorite hot yoga class in the evenings. Between juggling a full-time job and mom life, you are left pretty exhausted and can barely lift a finger to do the dishes, let alone lift a dumbbell.
This post is what I will call the QUICK AND DIRTY survival guide for mothers trying to get their fitness back.
You don’t have to spend hours in the gym, but you do have to move it to lose it (the weight, that is). So when you do have even a few minutes to spare at home, do you ever wonder what’s THE absolute best exercise you can do in that little time? Look no further.
Here are the top 5 moves every busy mom should consider:
- Believe in the Burpee. It’s the one move that works your entire body and even after 10 reps it feels like a full-blown cardio session. Hate them. Love them. Just do them
- Squat. Sweat. Repeat. Your mom butt will thank you later. That is all.
- Ain’t No Thing, But a Kettlebell Swing. Yes, you will need a piece of equipment – a kettlebell – but this power move will make you one strong mama and a calorie-burning machine.
- It’s Plank O’Clock – I always talk about how fast my baby girl is growing up and how years just fly by. But this is the opposite when it comes to planking – one minute feels like a lifetime. In 60 seconds, you can work your core and your whole body with this one basic move.
- Dare to Jump. Grab a skipping rope and get your jump on. This old school exercise will go a long way when it comes to weight loss and it’s not as easy as it used to be when you were little. So when in doubt … jump.
I know it can be challenging to find time between school drop offs, early bedtimes, and toddler tantrums, but if you start with dedicating even just 5 minutes a day and pick one of the above moves, you’ll have way more energy and you’ll be a happier mother because of it. READY … SET … SWEAT!
Trisha is a mother to mother fitness and nutrition coach from Toronto, Canada. Visit her site NO TUMMY MOMMY and Instagram @notummymommy for coaching, motivation, programs and the cutest mama and mini workout pics.